Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Rickaroons - Dessert. Fuel.



Rickaroons are a very unique product that offers you a gluten-free, soy-free, vegan, organic, Paleo treat. But most important of all – they taste very good.

According to the website, Rickaroons orginated with a love story.
“I was just a kid when my dad, Rick, created the first version of Rickaroons. He made them to comfort and support the woman he loved and cared for during her battle with Multiple Sclerosis. Although I was young, I still realized that Rickaroons represented his love for a strong woman and a healthy lifestyle.”
Rickaroons are macaroons made with Coconut and Almond butter, which gives your body long lasting energy due to its slow-burning properties.

Rickaroons are currently sold in about 350 stores, as well as on Amazon Prime or directly through their website.

I asked Grant, Rick’s son and partner, what he wants our readers to know and understand when choosing Rickaroons:
“Rickaroons are a healthy energy snack first and a dessert second. The slow burning, organic, vegan, Paleo and gluten free ingredients were picked to be an easily digestible workout fuel but it happens to taste like a dessert. Our product has an identity crisis - some customers think of it as an energy bar; others use it on their 100 mile bike rides and during marathons. “
When I first read his response I was a little confused because up until this point I mainly just thought of it as a very healthy, nutrient filled dessert.  I was very interested in giving them a try.

To get the package was a little bit of a struggle – not Rickaroons' fault – but the mailman's. Somehow it ended up at a neighbors' house, and then at another neighbor until someone finally dropped it off at my front door. The package was undamaged and unopened (and the mailman got to listen to one of my “do you know how to identify and compare numbers?” speeches. Poor guy).


It arrived in a regular USPS Priority Mail box and on the inside I found 4 different flavored Rickaroons, a Business card and two fliers with product information. It was all neatly packed up and protected by bubble wrap.

Finally, it was time to just eat one and decide for myself.

I am big on desserts (I am an amateur baker, remember?) but not really a workout person. I mean, I run after my 2 and 6 year old most of my day,s but only I've only been to a gym once in my entire life.



When I opened the package I honestly expected something that looks more like the macaroons that you find in bakeries but it looked like an energy bar in a round shape.

The first one I tried was the ‘Megaroon’ – Chia seeds and Cacao Nibs.

While I enjoyed it very much, I need to mention that it tastes very “healthy.”

Definitely not bland or flavorless – the exact opposite to be precise, but it is not as sweet as ‘normal’ macaroons nor as crunchy.

They are a moist treat with a grainy texture.

What really stands out is the coconut and almond undernote that I found in each one of them. I am a big fan of both, so for me it’s a great snack, but if you’re not a fan of those flavors then this is probably not the best choice for you.

The next one I tried was the ‘Mint to Be’ – Mint Double Chocolate.

First of all, I am not a mint fan. Except for toothpaste, a good Mojito or Tea. I don't generally care for mint in baked goods.

I tasted it anyway. It was my Monday afternoon snack in the car on the way to pick up my son from school and I was positively surprised by the flavor. It was definitely full of mint but not in an overpowering way. I felt like the chocolate balanced it out very well.

I also felt like it gave me more energy and I was less hungry. Usually I reach for a little snack every time I pass my pantry but not that day. I just felt satisfied and full until it was time to eat dinner.

I had the ‘Mocha’ – Dark Chocolate Espresso, the day after that in the morning, together with some Crio Bru Brewed Cocoa.

It was such a wonderful combination and just complimented each other so well. I loved the rich chocolate flavor together with the mocha.

It also smelled heavenly like a coffee shop. The texture is the same as the others: moist and grainy but I felt like this one was a tad stickier – nothing that would affect it in a negative way.

It made for a rich and indulgent feeling snack.

The last Rickaroon I tried was the ‘Chocolate Blonde’ – Coconut Chocolate Chip. I saved it as a dessert together with a good glass of Cabernet Sauvignon after the kids went to bed. It was a delight and this one is definitely my favorite. Again, rich chocolate components mixed with delicious coconut; moist with a grainy texture.

It was a great treat at the end of the day.

In addition to the four flavors I tried, they also currently carry Rick-Or-Treat: a Pumpkin Spiced Chocolate Blonde that will be available until New Year's Eve.

All in all, I was very pleased with my first Rickaroons experience and if you like the flavors that I described, give it a try.  These are delicious treats that not only won't derail your health and fitness goals - they'll complement them.

You can even use them as ingredients in any of the several recipes they include online.

I was also pleasantly surprised by their pricing. Rickaroons are available on their site for $25 for a box of one dozen of the same flavor, as well as $26 for a Variety Box of of one dozen.  Finally, you can set up a monthly subscription, which comes with a significant discount per box.

If you have ever set foot into a health food store or browsed on the internet for organic, vegan, healthy, and nutritional snacks then you are probably familiar with what I am talking about when I say they are very fair priced.


I also believe that the appeal is in more than just a product. It is a smaller business that was built on a love story and not with profit in mind. You are supporting something with meaningful when you buy Rickaroons and you are taking steps towards a healthier lifestyle full of nutrition – and deliciousness.

As a side note, years ago I would’ve frowned at that the product is Vegan, because that kind of food was just not appealing to me and I did not like the flavors that came with vegan food, but vegan products have come a long way and Rickaroons is a prime example of how delicious they can be.

Give it a try and you will see what I am talking about!



http://www.rickaroons.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Rickaroons/




4 comments:

  1. I just love the story behind the brand. It is so sweet. #ProductReviewParty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story behind these! They look moist and tasty too! #ProductReviewParty

    ReplyDelete
  3. These would go great with my chai tea lattes! #ProductReviewParty

    ReplyDelete